This past summer I embarked upon making my own deodorant and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.
Roughly ten years ago when I was 16 years old I lost my Grandma Joyce and Uncle Joe to cancer. It was a terrible experience to see two bright loving people die to a ruthless disease. After I lost them I committed myself to living the most intentional, healthy, and vibrant life I could.
The results have been incredible. My skin is clear, my energy level is at an all time high, my thoughts are more focused on love, and I feel a freedom that is full of endless possibilities. It only takes small mindful shifts for you to transform you body and life.
I have been astounded by my own health and wellness growth over the years and have learned so much by living an alternative life.
The reason why I decided to make my own deodorant really was caused by how sick and tired I was of using mass produced toxic deodorant’s under my arms.
Did you know that the chemicals in mainstream deodorants are known to adversely affect the body’s immune system, reproductive system, and nervous system? Yuck!
Needless to say in the past 4 years I have bought tons of alternative deodorants but each of them left me smelling not so fresh and even more frustrated than before. So, I took matters into my own hands and decided to make my own. Sure it took about three batches for me to get it right but now I have a great recipe to share with you.
So go ahead and say goodbye to pumping nasty toxic chemicals into your bloodstream – say hello to a natural feel good deodorant that actually works!
DIY NATURAL DEODORANT CREAM
Did you know that your skin is your body’s largest organ and anything you put on your skin absorbs directly into your blood stream in 27 seconds or less.
This all-natural yet powerful deodorant cream utilizes anti-microbial moisturizing coconut oil, superfine vegetable powder, and bergamot, lavender, jasmine, peppermint and tea tree essential oils to absorb moisture, inhibit bacteria, and ensure a long-lasting and highly effective experience.
The frosting-like consistency ensures effortless manual application and quick absorption. (Keep at room temperature) It’s free from harmful chemicals, petroleum, or aluminum compounds found in commercial antiperspirants, and it is vegan. Education is freedom so be sure to learn more here about how skin care products effect your health.
DIY DEODORANT BY J-LOVE OF THE BERGAMOT
1/2 cup Refined Coconut Oil (NOW brand body care)
1/4 cup Arrowroot Powder
1/4 cup Baking Soda Powder (Sodium Bicarbonate)
1 TB Room temperature Shea Butter
2 teaspoons Jojoba Oil
2 teaspoons Kaolin Clay
Use 1-3 drops per essential oil in the mix or until you love the way it smells.
Bergaptene-free Bergamot (3 drops)
Tea Tree (4 drops)
Lavender (2 drops)
Sweet Orange (1 drop)
Jasmine (3 drops)
Mix Coconut Oil, Arrowroot Powder, Baking Powder, Jojoba Oil, and Shea Butter all ingredients in a bowl with a fork for two – three minutes until the ingredients begin to warm up and meld together.
As it forms it will become like a paste think of it as the consistency of a body cream then once the constancy is right feel free to add the Essential oil blend.
Once you have blended all ingredients together take a spatula to the bowl and scrap out all deodorant cream ingredients into one or two small glass ball jars, then your done!
How to apply to your underarms
1. Wash your hands then take your right hand and scoop a nickel size amount onto your fingertips.
2. Take your fingertips with the cream on it and rub in a circular motion all over your underarm. Be sure to rub it in until it disappears. If you still see some cream then you may have used to much. It should absorb all the way into your skin and smell fresh and clean.
3. If you put it on and notice irritation then you may want to skip the baking soda next time you make it. You may have an allergen to baking soda. I make one for my husband and leave out the baking soda because he has super, crazy sensitive skin. 🙂
4. It will take some time (2 weeks) for your body to adapt to using natural products. During this period your body will be purging more of the toxins that have been stored up in-side of your underarms and you will have to push through this period. It is worth it to get to the other side. I have been using this deodorant cream since May 3rd of 2014 and my underarms are thanking me.
Tips to remember when using this DIY Deodorant Cream
- This deodorant contains no un-necessary waxes so it is much softer than what you are used to so do not fret.
- When the temperature changes the consistency of the cream will change. Store your natural deodorant cream at room temperature 70 degrees. If in case during travel your cream gets above room temperature and happens to melts (coconut oil is heat sensitive) don’t fret just place it back into a room temperature environment and re-stir it.
- There are no aluminum compounds in this cream. This just means that you will not get breast cancer from it and you will see some minor-sweating since it is not an antiperspirant. Sweating is good for your body to release toxins and its natural embrace it – we want to make sure you don’t smell in the process.
- Drink more water, trust me this helps as random as it is drinking a lot of water helps naturally cleanse your body and keeps you smelling fresh.
- You may notice skin sensitivity after applying to recently shaved underarms. If so shave at night and apply the deodorant cream in the morning.
If your in a bind for time buy one of these.