Earl Grey Tea Bergamot Cookies // London Fog Sugar Cookies
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup confectioner’s (icing) sugar
- ½ vanilla bean pod, split and seeds removed
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Earl Grey tea leaves (I just cut open one teabag and measured from there)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons decorating sugar (for rolling, optional)
- In a small bowl or dish, combine the granulated sugar, icing sugar and vanilla bean seeds. Using your hands, rub the seeds into the sugar to evenly distribute them throughout.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter with the vanilla sugar mixture. Add egg and vanilla and mix until blended well.
- Add the flour, tea leaves, baking powder and salt and mix to combine into a soft dough.
- On a clean work surface, roll the dough into a log. Roll log in decorating sugar (if using). Wrap log tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, and up to 24 hours until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a baking sheet. Slice chilled dough into ¼-inch thick slices. Bake until the edges are light brown and the middles set, about 6-8 minutes. Be aware that the bottoms will brown long before the sides or tops do, so don’t over bake!
- Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Will keep covered at room temperature for 1-2 days.